Anyone who gets serious about working out knows that it's extremely important to stay hydrated. It is recommended that you drink at least 500 ml of water 2 hours prior to working out, drink more water at regular intervals during your workout, and more while you cool off. In order to replace the fluid that you lose through perspiration, it is extremely necessary to stay hydrated.
Sometimes before working out, you need an extra boost of energy. Plenty of sports drinks contain electrolytes which are good for endurance or high-intensity workouts, but the added sugar and calories they contain don't make them worth it. But what about drinking coffee before a workout?
Coffee and exercise go really well together, like Netflix and chill. They're each great in their own way, but when they come together, they're unstoppable. Sometimes you do it by default when you go workout after work. A cup of coffee can boost your energy levels before you hit the treadmill or before you start your squats and lunges.
Research shows that it's almost always a good idea to have a cup of instant coffee before you start your workout.
Health Benefits of Coffee
Most people know that coffee has a lot of health benefits. It's an important source of antioxidants which protects the cells from any free radicals that are present in the body.
Drinking coffee is believed to lower the risk of developing diabetes, liver disease and degenerative neurological diseases like Alzheimer's. These are considered to be the long-term benefits of enjoying coffee for breakfast or after dinner. However, the caffeine present in coffee also provides you with short term benefits like short-term energy and focus. Both are extremely helpful when you're trying to wake yourself up in the morning or when you hit the slump during a long work day.
The additional energy and focus that you get after a caffeine boost can also be really helpful when you're at the gym or before your workout.
5 benefits of coffee before a workout
Studies have shown that a little caffeine goes a long way. It can give your workout a major boost. Here's how:
1. Improves speed - Most athletes need only a 1% boost in their average speed. It was observed in studies that caffeine significantly improved the speed in during a workout in the last 8 minutes to 45 seconds. So if you want to quickly get through your strength training for the day, you might want to add some flavoured coffee to your workout routine.
2. Boosts strength - According to some studies, consuming caffeine is believed to support your muscle strength and upper body and muscle power. It would not be such a terrible idea to sip on an espresso before you hit the gym or go for a run.
3. Reduces anaerobic exhaustion - Research states that consuming caffeine before a workout can keep you from reaching exhaustion longer during anaerobic activities like HIIT, sprinting or jump squats. In a study, research showed that there was a major improvement in participants who took a cycling test with caffeine as opposed to those who took a placebo.
4. Increases aerobic power - Aerobic endurance gets the most benefits from caffeine. Certain forms of exercise like running, cycling and swimming get a huge boost after some caffeine.
5. Reduces muscle pain - According to a small study conducted in 2013, having caffeine before a workout may reduce muscle pain and stiffness. However, this requires more research before any major conclusions can be drawn.
When to drink coffee before a workout?
So when would be the right time to drink coffee before a workout? Whether you like your coffee iced, hot, black or with milk, research shows that you should drink your instant coffee at least 60 minutes before your workout in order to make the most of it.
The best time to drink coffee depends entirely on you, whether you prefer working out early in the day or late in the evening.
If you're an early bird
Sipping on coffee an hour before you workout in the morning is arguably one of the best ways to start your day. If you're not much of a morning person, you can also workout in the afternoon.
If you're a night owl
If you're working out in the evening you can either skip that cup of coffee or make sure that you have your cup at least 6 hours before you go to sleep. Having caffeine 6 hours or less before you go to bed can disrupt your sleep. Getting enough rest is important for your overall health and well-being.
Coffee is a delicious beverage that can help you achieve your fitness goals. The benefits of drinking coffee have been linked to greater endurance, strength and power during a workout. For the best results, you can have 1 to 2 cups at least 45 to 60 minutes before you hit the gym.
However, it is important to remember that even thought some people prefer working out on an empty stomach, some people are more sensitive to caffeine than others. Therefore, it is imperative that you listen to your body and find the amount of caffeine that is comfortable for you.
Bestseller Coffee Bundle
FEATURED IN THE EXPERIENCE The all-time favourite combo of hazelnut, vanilla and original. The variety of flavours in this combo is ideal for the coffee fanatic in you. DESCRIPTION Flavours included:◦ Hazelnut 50g◦ Vanilla 50g◦ Original 50g Contains : 100% premium… "read more"